A true taste of Tassie
From Cradle to Coast, from bite size to feast, there are so many ways to enjoy a true taste of Tasmania.
Australia’s island state produces some of the county’s (and indeed some of the world’s) finest food and drink. From elegant sparkling wines to world’s best whiskies, fresh apple ciders to premium pinot noirs; berries, cherries, apples and stone fruits, all manner of delicious local cheeses as well as honey, truffles – even lavender ice-cream ! Farms across the state produce free-range pork and the finest grass-fed beef; and the surrounding seas serve up oysters, abalone and famous Tasmanian salmon.
Restaurants, markets, farm gates and cellar doors provide opportunities to sample the local produce at every turn .. but there are more to Tassie’s food and wine trails than just what’s on your plate. Meeting the passionate producers and providores makes these tastings all the more memorable .. whether you have an hour, a day or a week, we are delighted to share with you a sampling of what’s on the menu around the state:
- A morning meeting the passionate local producers and sampling their delicious treats at the Sunday Farmers Gate Market in Hobart (every Sunday on Bathurst Street, rain or shine).
- An afternoon dressed in waterproof waders, surrounded by the clean Tasmanian waters of the Freycinet Marine Oyster Farm to sample prized Pacific oysters shucked straight from the sea (accompanied by a glass of Tasmanian Sparkling of course!).
- A half day helicopter scenic tour from Hobart visiting local wineries and distilleries for private tours and tastings.
- A full day paddock to plate cooking experience including foraging, harvesting, cooking and eating local Tasmanian produce at a sustainable farm-based cooking school in the fertile Derwent Valley led by a former editor of Australian Gourmet Traveller Magazine who has also served as an apprentice under one of Australia’s most highly acclaimed chef’s Tetsuya Wakuda.
- A three-day guided walk of Bruny Island tasting delicious local produce – from oysters to free-range pork - direct from the source. Return to the luxury camp (including crisp linens and comfortable king-size beds) each evening to enjoy meals prepared with fresh local produce served with premium Tasmanian wines.
Contact us to help tailor deliciously memorable travel experiences across Australia: email@example.com
Image courtesy of Saffire Freycinet, Luxury Lodges of Australia